top of page
  • Echo Staff

News Releases

1) The Eaton County Humane Society (ECHS) has announced the receipt of an anonymous $5,000 grant to fund its SNAP program (Spay Neuter Assistance Program) for low-income families in Eaton County.

The Eaton County Humane Society will be assisting the public by discounting spay/neuter surgeries for needy pet owners and paying the difference. Eaton County residents who are low income and cannot afford the surgery without financial assistance qualify. If you or someone you know needs assistance, use the link apply or call the shelter to request an application: eatoncountyhumanesociety.org/spay-neuter-program, or 269-749-9440. The Eaton County Humane Society provides a safe haven for many of the area’s unwanted dogs and cats.

2)Have you ever been interested in learning about variety of different fascinating cultures?All Olivet College students, faculty and staff are invited to an International Club meeting March 8, at 6:30 p.m. in the fireplace room at the Burrage Library.The event is hosted by transfer student Nataliya Malaydakh and Mike and Judy Fales, International Club advisors.

3)The Residence Halls, Oak Hill, Long, Gillette and campus owned theme houses will soon be closed for Spring Break. All students not approved to stay for break must be out of these locations by 6 p.m. on Friday, March 10. Students with night classes will be permitted to return to their rooms to grab belongings before leaving campus, but are expected to vacate immediately thereafter.International students and students who live too far to travel home will need to submit an application to be approved to stay on campus. As per the Student Handbook, “The cooking of meals is not allowed in the residence halls; therefore, all appliances used to cook an entire meal are not allowed. This includes but is not limited to: frying pans, hot plates, electric saucepans, George Foreman grills, hot pots or skillets, toaster ovens and bread makers. Refrigerators smaller than 4.0 cubic feet and small microwave ovens (under 600 watts) are permitted.”Applications are available in the Student Life Office, located in Mott 208, or on MyOlivet under the Housing tab, under forms. The deadline to apply is Friday, March 3 at 4 p.m.The Residence Halls, apartments and theme houses will open at noon on Sunday, March 19. Chartwells will re-open for dinner that night.

4)On Monday, March 27, registration will open for summer, fall and next spring/ILT for all returning students.Registration will remain open through Friday, April 21 for fall and spring. Summer will remain open, so students may consider adding credits by taking a summer online course from the comfort of home. Students are encouraged to set up advising to prepare schedules.Classes for all sessions are available now for viewing on the college portal. Go to https://my.olivetcollege.edu and click on Current Course Offerings - Course Search. Click on Course Search, go to the Term drop down menu and choose the semester or summer session course offerings you wish to view.

5)The Oak Chest Resale Shop in Olivet will run a 50-percent off sale on everything in the store through March 24. This includes all clothing, shoes, shelf items, toys, books and small furniture. The Oak Chest will close as of March 25 and the Health Simplified Shop will be moving into the store location in April. Olivet College students will help with the final disbursement of goods to local charities on College Service Day, Wednesday, March 29. The Oak Chest is located at the corner of Main and Washington Streets in Olivet and store hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Visit us on Facebook.The Women’s Board of Olivet College will continue to meet three times a year and will be holding fund-raisers to provide the annual Women’s Board Scholarships at Olivet College. The next BUNCO Party is Monday, April 3, 7 to 9 p.m. in Klock Commons of Dole Hall, Olivet College. Call 269-781-0009 for more details.

6)Applications for student media leaders are available. Positions available for the 2017-2018 school year include editor of the Echo, the award-winning student newspaper, the Garfield Lake Review annual arts publication, and student manager of WOCR, our student radio station. There is also a social media director position available.All applicants must have a 2.5 gpa or higher to apply. Students can earn practicum or internship credit, or be paid as part of the Olivet College Student Employment Program.Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 3, and are available from Professors Kirk Hendershott-Kraetzer or Joanne Williams.For information, contact either professor via email.

bottom of page